Historic Holy Cross- Lower Ninth Ward

I took a drive a few weeks ago to visit the famous Steamboat Sisters (that's what I call them, anyway) of the Historic Holy Cross Neighborhood, which is  a subdistrict of the Lower Ninth Ward. I typically don't go out that far, because I like to joke that I never leave the Uptown bubble, but I'm really glad I found the bit of time to do so. It did not disappoint!

First off, let's talk about the stars of the neighborhood, the Steamboat Houses. They were built in the early 1900s. The first was built in 1905, for a steamboat captain name Paul Doullut and his wife, who was a lady steamboat captain (talk about girl power! so awesome.) and the second in 1913 for his son, Paul Jr. The second one is located catty-corner on the next block from Steamboat #1 (and sorry- of course, I have to have a favorite, this one is it due to all the foliage!). 
 


After driving around for a bit, I found that Flood Street (yikes @ the name, huh?) was my favorite little area. Historic houses, porches, an old warehouse and water tower, what's not to love?! 

 This neighborhood is named for the school that was built there in 1849, the all-boys school that's still around today (though now at a different campus. Thanks, Katrina). The area out this way was a little larger compared to lots of other areas of New Orleans and were often used as little farmlands. The country folk of New Orleans!
Italianate Style Centerhall Cottage on Flood Street
A "Brad Pitt" House (I think)- not my fave, but here they are!

It's a shame this one is all boarded up....
One of my favorite finds, an Eastlake style shotgun and the warehouse + water tower




Comments

Popular Posts