Irish Channel Gems, the NOLA Family

Have you ever heard of NOLA Brewery? If not, we've got to fix that immediately because it's my favorite brewery in the city. And we've got a lot. Great BBQ inside, rotating beer types and flavors for everyone, sweet balcony overlooking Tchoupitoulas, a photo booth. What's not to love?!

I think I was getting carried away, because that's not why we are here today. We are here for NOLA Brewery's younger sister, NOLA Distilling.

I've lived on Tchoupitoulas for nearly 5 years now and earlier this year, I was minding my own business, driving Downtown and noticed a new sign that said NOLA Distilling. I had never heard of it, but it looked like the same font, so I just assumed maybe it was the brewery's headquarters.

NOLA Distilling, the sign that piqued my interest originally. 

Time passes by and I noticed some stringed lights and a painted sign saying, "Daiquiris, Cocktails" go up. UMMM hello, I am putting this on my to-go-to list immediately. I finally go in a couple of weeks ago with my buddy Matt because we wanted somewhere to sit down and go over financials (YES with a cocktail because we have to make it appealing, right?!), and we had the BEST time.

The signed that confirmed my hopeful beliefs that they did, in fact, serve alcohol here. 

I knew I immediately wanted to shout to the world about how great and fun these people were and how good the daiquiris were, so I asked the Tasting Room Manager, Niki, if I could interview her later on and spread the word. So, here we are!

This is probably a bit different from my normal posts, but it's about great people in the Uptown neighborhood and a re-use of buildings which are both 10/10 important to me.

They have quite a few plants around the place. too, which I love. Look at that bottle!


The owner's name is Kirk Coco and NOLA Brewery, NOLA Distilling are his works of art. He seems to have lead a few very interesting lives so far- was a lawyer, then joined the Navy (!!) for 11 years and after Katrina hit, he knew he wanted to come home and do something good for the city to support the economy.

The brewery came first, and when he got tired of beer, he decided he wanted to expand. Thus, the distillery was born!

This particular building used to be Marlene's and most people kinda go "ew" when they remember that place. Kirk took over the building in 2015 and began building it out and distilling in 2016, first shipment of vodka went out in December 2016! What a way to end a year! In January, Niki painted the signs out front that I had seen and in April of this year the signs went up! They were live during Mardi Gras (because that's obviously the best time for a soft opening! sad I missed that), but closed again until their grand opening on April 27th, 2017!

Something I love about the NOLA companies is that they try to source all of their flavors and products used in the alcohols locally. I think that's really important and cool for New Orleans and love when I see that other companies are "loca-vores" to try to support each other. Their vodka is made from local sweet potatoes and the peppers are from Press Street Gardens in the Bywater.

Here's their lineup so far: Vodka, Pepper Vodka (Oct. 6, '17), and as of a couple of days ago (Oct 19th), they've got their new Coffee Cruiser Coffee Cordial. I've had all but the coffee, so must mean I've got to head back soon, because I know Niki will be concocting a great cocktail recipe with that ASAP.

Pepper Vodka in the middle- a spicy meatball! probably great for Bloody's! Original vodka up top. Love the bottle.

I do know they're also working on creating a gin, rum, and whiskey recipe, too! Their whiskey is made by using Nola Blonde and another with Irish Channel Stout (NOLA beers, y'all). And it boggles the mind (in a cool, scientific way) to wonder about how that works. These will be a limited edition sister series, so be on the lookout for that.

It's definitely interesting learning about how gin is made, too. It's got a bouquet of unique botanicals that are used in it and it's a heavily guarded secret how each distiller makes theirs. My mind thinks of a small wildflower-esque bouquet, even though I know it's probably much different.

Kirk and Niki were SUCH a pleasure to meet when we wandered in on a Friday evening and I'm looking forward to spending much more of my time at their bar. I hope i've convinced you to stop by, too.


I definitely recommend taking a tour.
I really love copper, so this was cool.















Some factoids for you:
- NOLA Stands for New Orleans Lager and Ale for the Brewery, New Orleans Libations and Alcohol for the Distillery.
-Every day features a different cocktail happy hour (from open to close)- Friday is daiquiris.
-Secret parking in front- not really- just doesn't look like parking since the city never repaints or does anything helpful (kidding, sorta???).  Also 6 parking spots AT the front door.
-They do events.
-They do distillery tours Friday at 3pm or by appointment.

Keep an eye on their Facebook or Instagram for upcoming events. I know they'll have a launch party for their coffee cordial, so I'll be sure to be there.

Wanna live close to NOLA Distillery? Click here.

Comments

  1. Sudah seru, odds nya menguntungkan lagi!!. itulah permainan sabung ayam online di sabung ayam
    Dapatkan informasi penting dalam dunia sabung ayam di website bawah ini
    https://taruhanayamonline.tumblr.com/post/176179118681/type-ayam-aduan-super-di-sabung-ayam-on-line

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts