Street Views, Burgundy Street, French Quarter.

How many of y'all pronounce Burgundy like the color? Down here in New Orleans, we like to say Bur-gun-DEE for the street. 

I wanted to show y'all some of the houses I've collected over the last year. Lots of colorful Creole Cottages, Shotguns, old buildings and more line this street. It's one of my favorites for many reasons. I find that it's away from the noise (and construction!) of good ol' Bourbon Street, but also, it's my first go to for PARKING. I won't tell you my secret back up street. THERE'S ONLY SO MUCH ROOM HERE! 

As per usual in the French Quarter, I'm going to show you a few Creole Cottages. 

 I love how symmetric and simple these guys are. All three of these are what you'd call an abat-vent shotgun, which is just referring to this little overhang over the front of the house to protect it from water. The yellow and pink cottages have a small half story above them, usually accessed by tiny stairwells in a rear "room" that we call cabinets. The other cabinet (remember, symmetry), was used for storage. 

The yellow cottage's dormers tell me this house is from before 1815 and the pink cottage was probably built sometime after it. The round and six-over-six hung windows tell them apart.  And remember, Creoles always had a centrally located fireplace, where as Americans put them on the exterior walls of the homes. 

 We've got some different types of buildings further down Burgundy. First, is a cute Italianate and Bracket Style shotgun double. You can see the main features of this style in the first and third photos. Love a row of bracketed houses. Always loved the arched window and door frames of the Italianate style on these. Feels romantic to me. 

The structure in the middle is what's known as Morro Castle. It's at the corner of Barracks and Burgundy, way down by a lovely park called Cabrini Playground. It's got a gorgeous inside courtyard, complete with a stunning pool and it's actually open and can get some sun. You can tell from the left side of the building that there's still a large carriage way and it is still operable today. Complete with a large winding staircase at the rear to lead up to the upper units, this is one of my favorite hidden spots in the French Quarter. 

To see what you can find on and around Burgundy for sale, click here.

Comments

Popular Posts