The Federal Fibre Mills- My Favorite Warehouse District Building

I know everyone LOVES the Cotton Mill- and I do, too!- but I've got to say, it's no Fibre Mill.

Something about a smaller number of lofts (er, people? I'm a bit of a hermit), while the lofts are also larger, and maybe the fact that I've almost exclusively worked on the side of the building that has city views is what makes it so fantastic. I am also pretty attached to the staff at the building. If you want a ship that's run tight, this one's for you.

The center atrium when you first enter the building is phenomenal. It's five stories tall, and you can see the large, exposed beams ALL the way up. It also features a massive skylight, so it's lit beautifully during sunny days. Another note, you can also see all the way down from the fifth floor. I don't really like to do that because it freaks me out, but it's still neat. I once had a tenant who chose to walk across the fourth floor beams to get to his condo instead of take the long way around... Please, never do that. I saw bare footprints on them for months afterwards and I can only think about what would have happened if he fell!

The courtyard is probably one of my favorite features of the building. Though it's downtown in the middle of everything, it has a way of being it's own quiet escape. On a sunny day, the pool and tropical plants just take you away for just a moment. I usually try to have time to stop in and grab a photo or two. Cobblestone walkways, gleaming pool and hot tub, the massive brick building that surrounds it with tropical foliage...it really is a treat to see. I haven't tired of it yet.

The building itself is 110 years old! Construction was finished in 1907 and the building was used for, well, making fiber. It was used to create ropes and the like for all of the ships at the port. Pretty convenient since the river is just a block away. Talk about incredible views from this rooftop. Can you imagine what it looked like back then? Just the river and buildings scattered from it's block to the French Quarter.

Something interesting they did with the renovations of this building is something that I love about living in such a historic city... For the fireplace that was a part of the old office building, they took down each brick, numbered them, and reassembled them in exactly the same way.

Another cool note- the world has received a lot of really good ideas from World Fairs. Ideas like different architecture styles (Queen Anne, Eastlake), the telephone, and so much more were all passed around at these expos. They've been had all over the world and were a really big deal back when we didn't have the internet or phones or Google.. They ranged from 6 weeks to 6 months at times, and towns would construct it's own little world in which to have the fairs in for the larger ones.

That brings us to the 1984 World Fair of New Orleans. (I know I skipped a lot of years, but I'm trying to get to a point, so bare with me.) It was held 100 years after the original world fair of New Orleans, The World Cotton Centennial, on Convention Center Boulevard in the ghost town of what the Warehouse District used to be. Apparently it's the only World Fair to ever declare bankruptcy during it's run from May 12-Nov 11 '84. Oops. Folks around town always say lovely things about it, even though, it was probably deemed a huge failure. Now, let's get to why that matters.. The Fibre Mill being a couple of blocks from the heart of the Fair (at Julia and Convention Center Blvd.), was a big deal since they had taken out a few of the large windows and put a MONORAIL through it to ride over the river to the West Bank. And apparently had housed staff and I heard they even had a bar inside, which isn't surprising, considering that we'd put a bar just about anywhere here. Did you ever go to the one in the Rouses on Tchoup????

Anyway- even though that World Fair wasn't great, it paved the way for the re-vamping of the Warehouse District area and the Federal Fibre Mills was one of the first buildings to be converted to living space. They did a pretty fantastic job if you ask me.

One last note- because I get asked about this a lot in my line of work- the typical life of these buildings is, for historic tax credit purposes, apartments for 5 years and then they'll be sold off as condominiums.

Exterior of the building, as seen from the park across the street- massive, huh?

a typical view of downtown new orleans from the fourth floor- can you spot the dome?

the courtyard- you really must come see it for yourself

a typical view of the living area for the unit- exposed brick walls, beams, two large windows. what's not to like?

I think I also want to start putting some favorite restaurants and happy hour spots in the area at the ends of these posts for anyone who doesn't live here. Maybe some of you who do will also find something new: 

I love Annunciation in this neighborhood (Warehouse District). I have the best time when I stop in. I usually just get a whiskey sour and pie, but it's always so lovely. 
I also love Cochon, you've probably heard of them. I have never had something I didn't like at this spot. 

Comments

Popular Posts