New Orleans Architecture Books- A Reading List from Yours Truly

Something unexpected happened after I fell in love with architecture and preservation of the New Orleans housing world this year. Since 2018 is TOMORROW, I'm home reflecting after the lovely holiday season and have realized I have about a million more books on these subjects than when I started my "research" earlier this year.

I have always enjoyed reading, but I think this past year I could not read enough books and am a little proud of my growing collection of local literature. I think the thing I loved most about everything I've learned is that the way the city grew and how the shape of it ties in with our history and is sort of a visual timeline for me.

I thought some of you may enjoy a little list about which books I have collected recently.

The first one I got is probably a no-brainer. It's New Orleans Houses- A House Watcher's Guide by Lloyd Vogt. I actually think I got the kid's version of this first and realized it wasn't exactly what I needed, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. This book has most house types of New Orleans in here and has beautiful drawings of them (some are identifiable, so it's nice to get to see those in person). Helps you identify the different characteristics and isn't too much to soak in.

The ones I have recently acquired are: Creole Houses Traditional Homes of Old Louisiana Photographs by Steve Gross and Sue Daley (Commentary by John H Lawrence, Foreword by James Conaway). Lots of beautiful photographs in this book and information about the different histories, rooms, etc. I will probably be using this to help guide my January field trip of ~30 places in 30 days (we'll see how many I get to, but I'm excited to try them out anyway!).

New Orleans Architecture Volume IV: The Creole Faubourgs Published by Pelican Publishing. This is a part of a set, and now I believe I've got another list of books to collect. The others are on various parts of the city, the cemeteries, etc. This particular book seems to explain the types of housing built by the Creoles as well as go into detail on some of the actual housing stock at various addresses.

A Pattern Book of New Orleans Architecture by Roulhac Toledano. I love this one because it's got plans to reuse your old New Orleans home in a way that makes sense for our modern day living. Ya know, with closets and things, since we don't store our 3 sets of clothing in large trunks anymore. It's also got gorgeous renderings from the 1800s and gives all of the details possible on who painted them and why and where to find them these days.

On that note, another book I am excited to read (have not cracked this one as of yet due to just receiving it) is: Renovating Old Houses by George Nash. This book is supposed to help guide you if you are thinking of restoring a historic home. It goes through picking contractors, rebuilding old windows, drainage, radiators, hanging drywall and SO much more. ~400 pages or so to read about all you ever wanted to know. I feel like this one probably makes me nerdy most of all, but I'm OK with it.

I've got a few other interesting ones, but some that don't directly relate to New Orleans, and rather the housing styles and types that we share with other parts of the US and beyond. One written by Charles Locke-Eastlake himself and some other interesting pattern books from way back when.

If you've got books you think I should check out, I'd love to hear what they are. I don't think I'm slowing down on my book collection anytime soon and am definitely open to learning about historic homes, New Orleans or not.

Comments

Popular Posts